10/23/2015

Quilting That Will Keep You in the Dark

This past week is one of secrets in my quilting. 
First:
I made up the swap pincushions for the next 3 months. I am going to be very busy for the next 2 months, so I wanted to get them sent out this week. 
The recipients have not yet received them, so I am posting only a tiny portion of each.





Second: 
I began a Challenge quilt for a quilt show.
I needed to make some fabric look like stone pavement, so I was sponging fabric with Liquitex Soft Body Acrylic Artist Color (Mars Black). I found it worked better if I washed the fabric before sponging. Gloves were a necessity. 

Before, Jinny Beyer's Necessary Neutrals
After sponged.

It also involves Deco Foil. I had advice on how to use this product from Amy of Sew Incredibly Crazy. Amy uses the Deco Foil quite often and has tutorials on her website. 


There is lots of hand sewing on this project with applique. Now to get it finished with a fast approaching deadline. 

Third: 
I made some burp cloths from new diapers, embroidery and flannel backing. They are a baby gift for a relative's newborn son. She has received them, so I am not shy about posting this photo. 


I leave you with a photo I took yesterday. 



This is from the Roadside Park about 2 miles away. Through partnerships with six families, the Land Conservancy has protected more than 500 acres of land and five miles of river frontage in the Muskegon River watershed. The Land Conservancy worked with the Veit, Sutton, and Leaver families to protect more than 400 acres of land and 3.5 miles of frontage along this stretch of river.

It is called The High Rollway because during the lumber era it was a place where the logs were rolled down the hill into the river where they would float 30 miles to Lake Michigan for transport to lumber mills. There are 214 steps down to the river which were built by the county road commission. 

Happy Quilting. 


No comments: